1to1 Therapy Services’ Behaviour Therapists use Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) to assist children and youth in developing skills in the areas of: communication, expressive language, receptive language, imitation, social skills, play skills, joint attention, self-help skills, personal independence, fine motor skills, gross motor skills, and behaviour. Behaviour Therapists incorporate the child’s motivation and interests to build new skills and address challenging behaviours.
1to1 Therapy Services meets the criteria to provide ABA services through the Ontario Autism Program Direct Funding Option. Clink here to find out more about the Ontario Autism Program.
Where can I get help from a 1to1 Behaviour Therapist?
1to1 Behaviour Therapists and Board Certified Behaviour Analysts are available throughout the Greater Toronto Area, York Region and Peel Region. No referral is needed and visits can take place either at our specialized ABA Centre in Markham, in home or in a variety of community settings.
What is Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA)?
- ABA is an approach that uses the principles of learning to teach important and meaningful social behaviours to improve the overall quality of life for your child and family.
- Your child can receive ABA therapy at any age. ABA interventions utilize evidence-based treatment approaches and rely on scientific measures to demonstrate effectiven
- ABA is not just for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorder; it is applicable to addressing behaviours that are of significance to the individual and/or group of persons, a variety of populations and mental health condition
- 1to1 Therapy Services’ Behaviour Therapists use Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) strategies to assist children and youth in developing skills in the areas of: communication, social skills, play, behaviour, cognition, joint attention, imitation, fine motor skills, gross motor skills and personal independence including feeding, dressing and toileting.
- ABA strategies are also applied to treat challenging behaviours. Behaviour Therapists incorporate the child’s motivation and interests to build new skills and address various behaviours.
What services are offered?
to1 Therapy Services’ ABA team use evidence-based treatment approaches to build functional skills and decrease challenging behaviours. Our therapists are trained to:
- Conduct Functional Behavioural Assessments
- Complete skill-based assessments such as the ABLLS-R (Assessment of Basic Language and Learning Skills Revised) and VB-MAPP (Verbal Behaviour Milestones Assessment and Placement Program)
- Build cooperation and learner readiness skills
- Teach Augmentative Communication such as PECS, Proloquo2Go and LAMP
- Teach adaptive and functional behaviours that replace challenging behaviours
- Provide individualized treatment that incorporates the child or youth’s motivation and interests to create a positive therapeutic environment
- Increase independence across self-care, communication, play and social interaction skills
ABA can be provided to children with Autism Spectrum Disorder through direct intervention, consultation and parent training. The goal of ABA is to improve the child’s developmental trajectory and overall rate of learning as defined by clinically significant changes in the child’s cognitive, language and adaptive skills on standardized assessments (Expert Clinical Panel, 2007, p.20). ABA can be provided both structured and naturalistic teaching settings to further develop a child’s learner readiness, communication skills, social and play behaviours, pre-academic and independent living skills. ABA therapy can be delivered at our ABA centre, daycare, home or school.
What is Intensive Behavioural Intervention (IBI)?
IBI is a treatment program that is specific to the format previously outlined by the Ontario Ministry of Child and Youth Services Autism Intervention Program. The goal of IBI is to improve the child’s developmental trajectory and overall rate of learning as defined by clinically significant changes in the child’s cognition, language and adaptive skills.
IBI utilizes the principles of ABA (Applied Behaviour Analysis) in both structured and naturalistic teaching settings to further develop a child’s learner readiness, communication skills, social and play behaviours, pre-academic and independent living skills. IBI is intensive in nature, it involves a minimum of 20 hours of intervention per week.
Who are 1to1’s Behaviour Therapists?
The Clinical Supervisor is a registered psychologist and a member of the College of Psychologists of Ontario; or a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst (BCBA). The clinical supervisor provides clinical guidance and mentorship to the Supervising Therapists and oversees 1to1 Therapy’s clinical practice. For privately funded clients, a Psychologist or clinical supervisor is not required. Client’s receiving Direct Funding from the Ontario Autism Program (OAP) require supervision from a Psychologist or Board Certified Behaviour Analyst.
Supervising Therapists (ST) are Board Certified Behaviour Analysts (BCBA), Board Certified Assistant Behaviour Analysts (BCaBA) or a highly trained Behavioural Consultants with a Master’s degree under the supervision of a BCBA. Supervising Therapists are responsible for overseeing the child’s treatment program. Supervising Therapists provide parent training, monitor progress of the child, supervise and train the Instructor Therapists, and act as a clinical liaison, at the request of the parents, with community agencies/schools.
Instructor Therapists (IT) are skilled behaviour technicians with an Autism and Behavioural Sciences Diploma and/or a degree in a related discipline. Instructor Therapists are trained to become Registered Behaviour Technicians (RBTs) at 1to1 Therapy Services. Instructor Therapists are responsible for providing direct intervention, implementing programs, recording data and attending clinical team meetings.
Why is Behaviour Intervention important?
- Addresses socially significant behaviours that improve the child’s quality of life
- It is a complementary support to other therapies when success is limited due to challenging behaviours
- Teaches the individual appropriate behaviours and meaningful skills
- ABA is an evidence based treatment approach for Autism Spectrum Disorder that results in measurable outcomes
What are the Advantages of Behaviour Intervention?
- Comprehensive assessments that identify why challenging behaviours occur
- Teaches adaptive and functional behaviours that replace challenging behaviours
- Provides individualized treatment that incorporates the child or youth’s motivation and interests to create a positive therapeutic environment
- Increases communication, play and peer interaction skills
- Increases independence across self-care, play and social interaction skills
How much does Behaviour Therapy Cost?
Behaviour therapy is intensive in nature and requires an individualized assessment and treatment plan. In Ontario you may access therapy through funding or the Ontario Autism Program. All of 1to1’s programs are supervised by a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst.
- ABA at our ABA Centre in Markham: $50 per hour with an Instructor Therapist
- ABA at home or in the community: $55 per hour with an Instructor Therapist including travel
- ABA Supervision or Consultation at our ABA Centre in Markham: $130 per hour with a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst
- ABA Supervision or Consultation at home or in the community: $150 per hour with a Board Certified Behaviour Analyst including travel
- Clinical Supervision by a Registered Psychologist: $200 per hour